Saturday, January 30, 2016

Day 23 & 24

Dinner: Zuchini Noodles w/ Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Use a spiral slicer to make zuchini noodles. Cook noodles in salted boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and add meat sauce! 


If you're making your sauce fresh, I really like this recipe: 



We had company the other night and I thought, uh oh, I'm on this crazy diet, what am I going to fix for other people?! I needed something filling and a dish that wouldn't be too time sensitive. Lasagna meets that criteria perfectly! I already had spaghtetti sauce I had canned over the summer (those long hard hours do pay off in the winter). I ended up using 2 precious quarts. I also added 1 little can of tomato paste to help thicken it a little more. 

I cooked 1.5 lbs. of ground turkey, salting and peppering as I did. I added the sauce to the cooked meat. I was ready to add it to my lasagna! I used brown rice noodles (all I had on hand). I was a little nervous because brown rice noodles tend to go goopy if cooked too long (or do no matter what depending on the brand).  I never actually tried the lasagna, but I don't think they tasted mushy. My hubby would have told me. ;-) I put a layer of noodles down, then added the meat sauce. Instead of ricotta, I added a mixture of sour cream and eggs. I've done this for as long as I can remember in making my lasagna. I usually don't have ricotta on hand, but I usually do have sour cream and eggs! On top of of that very thin layer, I added a mixture of Parmesan and mozzarella.  I did one more layer of noodles, meat sauce, sour cream and cheese. I covered the dish and cooked for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. I took the foil top off and cooked an additional 10 minutes. Came out perfect! Of course I couldn't eat the cheese or noodles, so I made myself zucchini noodles and topped with the meat sauce. --I would have preferred to have a little parmesan on top, but this still tasted amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment